Musings on Everyday Life

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I've barely left the house for the last 2 weeks

And it has been glorious. I thought I was going to be very depressed by not going home for Christmas, but it has actually been amazingly relaxing. Here are my top 5 reasons why I have had the most relaxing Christmas ever.

1) The Skype family Christmas. I spent about 3 hours chatting to my family and watching my nephew open presents, and then was able to turn it off. I love my family, but who wouldn't like an off button sometimes?

2) I spent the week between Christmas and New Year working, but I think I received all of one email and maybe one phone call. I was productive, but also was able to take long breaks without feeling guilty about it or trying to hide the fact that I spent the entire afternoon surfing the web.

3) Christmas dinner was popcorn, pick n mix, and chex mix. It was supposed to be roast chicken, but after all of that junk, we didn't feel like making the chicken, and since there was no one else around, we didn't care.

4) Movies and Wii. The couch and I have always been close, but this last two weeks, we have bonded on new levels. My husband finally broke down and bought a Wii (a present for me for him), so we had the Christmas everyone else did 2 years ago enjoying Mario Kart and Wii Sports games, as well as a respectable Christmas movie marathon including some of my favorites-Elf, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and Love Actually.

5) Spending the last two weeks of the year hanging out with my husband. Most of the year our time together is after work for a few hours, and maybe a bit of time on the weekend, but we had a few solid days of just lounging. I felt more chilled out than I have in a long time.

All in all, I have to say, it's been an lovely and relaxing holiday. It will be the only year we are ever able to spend the holidays just the two of us, and it was worth it. Here's to 2010 and all of the surprises and fun it will bring.

Recipe of the day: Black Bean and Chorizo Soup
(Make this to your taste. These are all approximations)
1 can black beans
1/2 c stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 thick slice white onion (chopped)
about 1/4 c of chorizo, cut into small pieces
A slug of olive oil

Heat the oil in a pan over med heat. Add the onions and sweat, then add the garlic and fry until it becomes fragrant. Add the chorizo and cook until it starts to release the oils. Add the stock and beans (with the can juices). Give it a stir and let simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. With a hand blender (or carefully in a regular blender), blend slightly until about half of the beans and chorizo have been liquified. Served with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment